Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The Top Office

Much speculation has been going on for the past year about who will take over the top office. Many people are leaning towards one candidate but others are opting for others. I am here to give my own opinion and offer my skepticism at the idea of the favorite. Given all this, I'll now tell you who I think will be the next Minister of Magic (What? Did you think I was talking about Bush-Kerry?)

The current front runner for the MoM job is Arthur Weasley. Nice fellow, very smart, loyal to Dumbledore. However, he has been languishing away in his own little office for many years with no desire for advancement. Its been hinted that Weasley himself has passed up opportunities for advancement because of his love of Muggles and not just been passed over every time some new post is open.

I might also point out that before Order of the Phoenix was released, people were absolutely certain that Mrs. Figg was going to be the next Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Instead, she turns out to be a squib and we get Umbridge. So going on precedent and our own knowledge of the character, I don't think Arthur Weasley is a strong candidate.

So who is? Well, Rowling could easily create a new character and just say that they've been in the background all the time. I won't deny that that's a strong possibility. But if we want to play with characters we know, I lean towards Amelia Bones. There have been whispers in the past that the character of Susan Bones will be important and having her aunt as MoM would elevate her stock a bit. She has also been defined as a stern but fair witch. I've envisioned her as a bit like McGonagall and I think the ministry might need some tough love. Politically, they can't put in someone who will be seen as a Dumbledore puppet so quickly. So they move to the middle ground: strong character, open to ideas and willing to fight Voldemort openly if necessary.

Of course, I could be totally wrong in this. My last post I picked Kerry to tap Vilsak and he goes with Edwards, the obvious choice. But this is my guess as of right now. I'm rereading OotP looking for some clues as to the future as well.

No comments: