Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Amazing Race

Mrs. X will probably have an article relating to this subject sometime in the near future, but I thought I would go ahead and offer my own two cents. I got into TAR last year and have been eagerly looking forward to the next season. I enjoy laughing at people who walk right by markers and get into the most inane fights over little things.

The first episode brought us from southern California to Uruguay and introduced us to the teams. Its hard to get a handle on all the teams in the first episode, but they are starting to fall into discernible patterns and getting their own nicknames:

1) Big Brother Team - Allison from BB4 is once again proving that she's quite the bitch. I didn't really see it, but judging from the descriptions, I think they are channeling team Flo from season 3. I certainly hope the BB team doesn't win like the Flo team did.

2) Pizza Brothers Team - I'm already starting to not like these guys. They are competitive, but they are also boorish and annoying. They fit the world view stereotype of Americans to a tee. But I think we may have to deal with these guys for a while.

3) Bowling Moms Team - They have good chemistry and are likeable. They'll work well together, but may get bogged down in some of the heavily physical challenges.

4) Internet Couple Team - I have a soft spot for this team due to their circumstances and the fact that they are they oldest team. Age will probably do them in before the race is finished, but I'm going to enjoy them while they can.

5) Cousins Team - The little person member is spunky and very likeable. Her cousin is a little bit dim and a lot whinny. They are also projecting a little too much "poor little us" attitude for my taste. I could see this team eventually going down due to a fracture between those who work and those who don't.

6) Christian Models Team - They had a good little spat in the first episode but recovered well. I think they could be challenging for the lead if they work out the little things.

7) Texas Couple Team - This team wasn't developed much so I imagine they'll stick around for a little bit. Biggest things we know are that the female is a former Miss Texas USA winner and lived for a time in Santa Monica, CA.

8) African-American Team - A middle aged couple that seems to work well together. They had a couple of misteps in the beginning, but I could see this team pulling it out if they get a couple of lucky breaks.

9) Twins Team - I'll never be able to keep them straight. I'm mixed about this team. They are intense and bicker with each other a bit. I also get a slightly condesending vibe from them. If they don't rush things, they'll recover and finish high.

10) Dad and Daughter Team - I like the dad. His messed up knee looked pretty nasty, but he played hard through it. His daughter is a bit cutthroat and coming off as a bit bitchy. They are the early favorites to get eliminated in the next leg if only due to the injuries they are dealing with now.

The eleventh team is a non entity as they have been eliminated. It should be an interesting season. Perhaps my perception of each team will change as we go. I'm also looking forward to seeing the new twists they've added. I like the yield as a way of pushing back a team that might be very close to you. I assume the fast forward is also still in the game as well. We'll have to wait a little bit until we see what the twist is for arriving last at a non-elimination leg.

Should be interesting.

No comments: