Thursday, April 29, 2004

Two Witnesses

I know I promised that I would be discussing influential presidents, but after bible study yesterday, we had a discussion that was really interesting.

It started with us talking about how being a Christian means that you are rejected by the world and sometimes meet with some very nasty situations. From this I started talking about Elijah and I made the off hand comment that he was one of the two people who have never died; the other being Enoch (Gen. 5:21-24).

This off hand mention brought a comment by one of the other guys in our study group. He had been talking with someone and how there is a passage in the bible which says that it is man's role to live and die once and then be judged (Heb. 9:27). But there are two men who have not died in the history. His friend made the suggestion that these two men, Elijah and Enoch, could be the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation 11:1-14.

This would make sense as these two witnesses must be very holy men to have the power that they wield. The two witnesses will be killed once and then resurrected. Some people have postulated that the two witnesses may be Elijah and Moses, but Moses has already died once, so why would he need to die again? The more I think about this theory, the more I like it.

On a side note, if anyone is aware of a good history of the Assyrian Empire, I would appreciate someone letting me know about it. I'm hitting a snag in some of my research and need a good combing over of some source material.

No comments: