Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Random Rants

Don't you hate it when you have a good idea to talk about or research, then get distracted by something and can't remember what your great idea was? Hopefully it'll come back to me soon so I won't have to bore all 3 of you who read this.

No, I'm not going to talk about basketball. I'll save that for tomorrow or Thursday. Thursday we also have the Frozen Four semis. So we'll get all kinds of talk about sports then. Not that I'll be able to watch the games. The first one is at noon and the second is at 6. Maunday Thursday services start at 7 so no hockey for me that night.

I didn't really watch most of the game because I was watching Peter Jennings thing on Jesus and Paul. I watched the first hour, then had to tape the rest because I was talking to Mrs. X on the phone. I did get to catch the last half hour and I'll watch the rest tonight. What I did watch last night seemed interesting. Obviously I'm going to disagree with some of the "experts" they have on, but I think ABC did a good job of presenting a fairly objective interpretation of the situation, at least of the Jesus side of things. Now, I can't say if they did the same for Paul. I'll let you know more on that when I watch the rest tonight while Mrs. X is watching her American Idol.

Perusing the news we have Ted Kennedy setting the way back machine to 35 years ago. You ever notice how every conflict is Vietnam now? I remember two political cartoons that came out back when the war had just ended. The first one had a soldier walking and being chased by these little people with cameras saying, "Why haven't you won the war yet?". Then in the second panel, the soldier says that they won. In the third panel the camera people start saying, "Why haven't you won the peace yet?" The second cartoon was a one panel with an Uncle Sam being followed by a pack of dogs saying, "Is it Vietnam yet?"

Part of this problem is that life is still dominated by the baby boom generation who also seem to think that they are God's gift to this planet. John Kerry has been running on his Vietnam war service record and the media wouldn't let the story die about Bush possibly skirting Air National Guard Service during the war. You want to know what? I DON'T CARE! I don't give a rat's ass what a person did in a war that many years ago. FDR did a great job running a war and he never fought in combat. But, the baby boom generation has to make it an issue as long as they run things. NPR ran an editorial by a Gen X reporter who said expressly that what a person did in Vietnam doesn't matter. Its what they can or can't do now.

My own personal beliefs are that we just have survive for a little while until the baby boomers can be displaced. Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but I just don't have any faith in my parent's generation. Obviously not all of them are like that, but just about anyone in power is. Moral cowards and hypocrites all.

Damn hippies.

No comments: