Monday, April 05, 2004

Dual Championship?

It just wouldn't be early April if the UConn women and Tennessee women weren't playing each other. Yep. Since 1995 I think there were only 2 years that the two schools didn't play each other during the tournament and 4 times they have met in the finals. Although, how Tenn. has gotten there is just beyond me. They've had to come from behind in all of their tournament games and at least twice they got the blessing of lady luck. The Baylor game call was just stupid. Two people ran into each other going for a ball. No foul on either side. Then there was last night's LSU game. Game tied with 6 seconds to go. LSU ball inbounding from their end. Tenn. uses full court press and the best player LSU has, falls down. Tenn. recovers and lays it in for an easy 2 with 1.6 to go. Game over. Tennessee is either the luckiest team you have ever seen or there is a big conspiracy to get UConn and Tenn. to match up again.

You laugh but it may be true. Tennessee gets top ranking so they get first round bye. Then they get the "foul" against Baylor. They manage to get to the final four without being too incompetent and then they have luck again favor them to beat hometown LSU (final four in New Orleans). Meanwhile, despite being the No. 2 seed in the East, UConn plays all first four games in Connecticut. The first two games go the higher seed's home I think and then it was scheduled that the East Region finals and semi-finals would be in Hartford. It does seem to smack of conspiracy.

On the other gender, the UConn men will rematch with Georgia Tech. I have UConn winning in my bracket so I'll be rooting for them. Plus, experience would tend to favor UConn. Both teams played hard games Saturday night so I don't think either team will have a burnout advantage. Its just health and depth of bench. I think UConn is a little healthier, geared up, and looking to avenge the loss in the preseason NIT.

So, I think there is a legitimate possibility of a dual basketball championship for UConn. I would favor the men over Georgia Tech and the Tennessee women are just not impressing me with their wins. I would also take UConn there too. We shall see.

No comments: