Tuesday, April 13, 2004

50% Less Oxygen?

The question really is, what is the full impact of having only one nostril? A guy I work with has been having some swelling in his legs and after a bevy of tests, he's of the opinion that its due to some weight he's gained over the winter. This weight causes him to breathe less deeply and that could be leading to the swelling.

As I was thinking about this, I wondered how it might relate to my own situation. For most of the year, I usually have one nostril out of service. In fact, if you place a finger over one of them, I wouldn't even notice because no air is getting in that one to begin with. So what health effects do I suffer as a result and what is the ultimate cause? I can't say any major health effects other than consistent allergy symptoms. Although I do find that I don't feel rested unless I have lots of sleep, but that could also come from being a good 30-40 lbs overweight.

Now, the cause might relate back to when I was about 18 months. We had a big brown Chevy van. The old school ones that you see painted white in any movie involving an FBI conspiracy. Anyway, I fell out of the back of it when I was young and blackened both my eyes. I also may have knocked around some of the stuff in my nose. So who knows what's really wrong with me. I know, no one reading this really cares, but sometimes its fun to talk out loud about various ideas.

On a side note, I'm still playing with the reordering of history. I'm pretty sure we can peg down the fall of Jericho to about 1406 BC. It would be helpful if I could peg down the battle of Meggido fought under Deborah because that might give me a firm time point for Thutmoses III. But I'll keep researching. We shall just have to be patient.

No comments: