Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Survey

I guess it's my turn now:

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. It looks bad but I actually make gift bags look worse.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Fake. I like real trees but it's much easier and cheaper this way.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Depends on when Thanksgiving falls. Usually that first weekend in December though.
4. When do you take the tree down?
New Year's day or the day after.
5. Do you like eggnog?
No.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I can't think of one specifically. The Fischer-Price Farm was good. I enjoyed my TV production truck (which was not a new blanket for Madame S ;) ). My tape player that I ran into the ground. My first Calvin and Hobbes book.
7. Hardest person to buy for?
My parents and my mom specifically.
8. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes, from Mrs. X's mom. We need to get a cleared elevated space to put it out though.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mrs. X mails the Christmas cards.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I really can't think of anything that gave me a "what the heck is this?" feeling. I probably had that when I got clothes as a kid but at least they all fit well and looked pretty good on me (even if I didn't appreciate it at the time).
11. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Alistair Sim's 1951 version of A Christmas Carol.
12. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Dec. 26.
13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not that I recall.
14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Mrs. X's peanut butter bars. Although I'm also fond of chocolate peanut clusters, Oreo truffles (sometimes called reindeer poop), and buckeyes.
15. Lights on the tree?
Yes, multi-colored.
16. Favorite Christmas song?
Silent Night (best done in German) from the traditionals. Christmas, 1913 is a personal favorite of mine.
17. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Ideally, stay home.
18. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder (not Donner), Blitzen, and Rudolph.
19. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Neither at the moment. We had an angel growing up.
20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas day?
Christmas Day for the kids and just between us. Eve for larger family gatherings.
21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
The traffic when you go to any store or restaurant. Being bludgeoned by materialism.
22. Favorite ornament theme or color?
People who worry about themes for their ornaments should be slapped. Ornaments should be personal and have an individual story.
23. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
Anytime one gets to have turkey is good. But I'm also a fan of ham or large beef presentations.
24. What do you want for Christmas this year?
10 fingers, 10 toes, a strong heart, and good health for Baby X2.0
25. What is your favorite Christmas memory?
I have a few. Christmas 1982 was the first Christmas I really remembered and it seemed like a large one with lots of presents (plus everyone was there). Talking to Madame S through the vents when Mom and Dad brought in presents they had bought and we were banished to our rooms so we wouldn't see what they were. Always decorating the tree, although I really remember and like the first time I did it myself in Connecticut while listening watching the Florida recount fiasco. Toddler X's first Christmas and how she gaped in amazement at all the new toys for her.

No comments: