Monday, March 29, 2004

Sports Recap

So the Final Four is set. I have three of the four teams: Oklahoma St., UConn, and Duke. My fourth team was Kentucky but I did have Georgia Tech in the Elite Eight and thought seriously about having them beat Kentucky in the match up. But at least both my finals teams are alive. I have UConn over Oklahoma St. in the final.

As far as Oklahoma St., I think that's a pretty good chance. No disrespect to Georgia Tech, but I think Oklahoma St. has fought through more and shown better resolve. They were the Big 12 regular season and tournament champion and you just have to give props to that.

As far as the other game, I'm in a toss up. Obviously I want UConn to win but I'm a little concerned. UConn has blown by opponents but they haven't faced anyone of high caliber yet. Duke had two close games with Illinois and Xavier. Both of them were scrappy teams and may have toughened Duke up enough to a point where they could just outmuscle UConn. With Okafor still suffering from his back and now a pinched nerve in his elbow, things are looking a little less definite.

In other sports news, the Frozen Four is also set. Thankfully Michigan was knocked out by Boston College. I'm not a Michigan fan in any way, especially in football and hockey. The biggest part was that Minnesota was upset by Minnesota-Duluth. So there will be no three-peat and some fresh excitement on the ice. Its just a shame that you can't watch any of the games until they reach the Frozen Four. I would have liked to have watched the Minnesota-Minn-Duluth game. Oh well. They other participants by the way are Denver and Maine. Records favor Maine, but with the contest is in Boston so I'd say BC is the favorite.

Baseball also starts this week. Time to go watch the Reds get their clocks cleaned. Really, there's a lot of expectations put on the NL Central this year. It'll be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype. But I'm going on record now, and we can check the archives when October rolls around, but I predict that there will not be a Boston-Chicago World Series. Its just a little too much of a pipe dream at this point. I just hope its not all Yankees, all the time.

No comments: