Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Results

With several contests going on last night, there were multiple results.

First, the San Francisco Giants completed their second big comeback of the postseason, crushing the St. Louis Cardinals in game 7 to earn a date with the Detroit Tigers in the World Series. As the National League won the All-Star Game, the series will open in San Francisco tomorrow.

Second, the Chicago Bears used a brutal defense to beat the Detroit Lions 13-7. Chicago retains first place in the NFC North and more importantly, as Matt Forte and Brandon Marshall failed to score 30 fantasy points, I won my match-up for the week. This was only my second win of the season (2-4-1) but I'm actually not in last place in my division.

Finally, there was the debate. My reading on it seems that it was mostly a draw again. Mr. Obama seems to have been credited with the win, but it doesn't appear that in the immediate reaction that he was able to land any significant blows on Mr. Romney to move the needle much. CBS instant poll showed an Obama win 53-23-24 while CNN's instant poll showed Obama winning 48-40. CNN also had a poll showing that both men scored in the 60's on handling the job of C-in-C, while PPP had a poll showing that for independent voters, the more/less likely to vote for a candidate was 32/48 Obama and 47/35 Romney. CNN had one additional poll asking who the debate made you more likely to vote for: Obama - 24, Romney - 25, Neither - 50.

I did not watch most of the debate, but I did flip over for a few minutes during halftime of MNF. My own personal thoughts (aside from being bored listening to the men) was that Mr. Romney looked fairly confident and a little condescending towards Mr. Obama. Mr. Obama looked frustrated and a bit angry. He knew he had to land a hard blow to move the momentum back into his column and it appeared that he knew he wasn't getting it.

As I said yesterday, I expect the numbers on this debate to be much lower than the first two. I suspect that both candidates knew it too, giving even more rise to the idea that Mr. Romney was playing prevent defense and Mr. Obama was getting frustrated by his lack of ability to score a strong hit on Mr. Romney.

Fourteen days to go.

No comments: