Friday, January 22, 2010

Championship Weekend

I went 2 and 2 last week. Not bad, especially since I would have been wrong no matter what about the San Diego-NY Jets game. No way was I expecting that.

This weekend's games should be pretty good. On the AFC side, I like Indianapolis. There are two things working against the Jets in my opinion. First, the Jets play a style very similar to what Baltimore does and Indy had very little problem with Baltimore. Second, I think the Colts want to prove that the only reason they lost to the Jets in Week 16 is because the scrubs were put in in the second half. It will be a close game, but I think the Colts pull slowly ahead as the game progresses.

On the NFC side, things are a bit murkier. Most people seem to be going with the Saints in a close game just because of the home field advantage they will enjoy. That is certainly possible but I am always a little more comfortable with strong defenses. I also think that Brett Favre has been here a few times before will give the Vikings a better anchor than the Saints (who may get swept up in the moment). I'll take the Vikings in a very close game.

This would set up the NFL dream talking point for two weeks: Manning vs. Favre. I think the NFL wouldn't care too much about who makes it from any of these four, but the sports media will go nuts over the possibility of this match-up. I'm sure there is probably some stat guy who already has the outcomes of every time the two have met before. But, we shall see.

No comments: