Friday, October 27, 2006

0 for 6 and maybe 0 for 7

This year has not been good to me picking the postseason. Of course, this just reinforces why I don't go to Vegas and do sports betting. I had a post that got eaten by Blogger last Friday where I picked the Tigers to win the World Series in 5 and then advised everyone else to go out and pick the Cardinals. As it happens, I may have had the length of the series correct, but the team wrong.

Too many things have been happening: Tigers commiting terrible errors, players slipping, balls taking lucky bounces, etc. I also got a weird feeling last night while watching part of game 4. I saw that St. Louis had fallen behind 3-0 and then I saw the Cardinals make it 3-1. After that, I just got the feeling that they were going to claw their way back into it, adding a run here and a run there. I still wasn't sure if they would win the game, but I had this feeling that they would get back into it and make it a late inning game. I turned it off after the 5th inning and was pretty sure that the Tigers would have won it, but St. Louis had pulled it out when I got up this morning.

I don't know if the Cardinals will pull it out tonight. If they don't, I seriously think it will go to 7 games. The Cardinals have a rookie starter going against Kenny Rogers in game 6 so I'm willing to concede game 6 to Detroit. That would put game 7 with Chris Carpenter on the mound for St. Louis and someone else on the mound for Detroit. But right now, the edge certainly favors St. Louis to take it in 5. Of course, there could be another rainout and who knows what will happen after that.

After this seaon, I will test my skills by picking the world series for next year and seeing if those teams finish dead last in their divisions.

No comments: