Monday, August 07, 2006

Thoughts and Reunions

No matter how religious you are, or how much you believe in certain passages of the Bible, it is still a bit freaky to hear something on the news and have it printed directly for you in the Bible.

As I have mentioned before, I have postulated that the current war between Hezbollah/Hamas and Israel, is the opening salvo in the war mentioned in the book of Amos. This morning, I was listening to a discussion of the war and one of the commentators mentioned that according to various news reports, Hezbollah has a large array of bunkers hidden by brush scattered throughout Lebanon and Syria in a manner very similar to Japanese tactics used on Iwo Jima. The commentator noted that when the US fought the Japanese, they were forced to go into the fortified hills and burn away the brush using flame throwers before they could go in and either flush the bunkers or destroy them using air power. This is the system that Hezbollah has set up.

Now, relate this scenario as to how Israel is going to have to deal with Hezbollah to this passage in the book of Amos: “I will send fire upon the walls of Tyre that will consume her fortresses.” Most of the bunkers are in the south, arrayed in a pattern surrounding the major cities of Tyre and Beirut. If one views these bunkers as small fortresses (and I think any sensible military commander would) and knowing the methods that Israel will have to use to root them out, it does give one pause and a little bit of gooseflesh.

On a lighter note, my high school class had their 10-year reunion this past Saturday. I did not go as that would have required putting Mrs. X and Baby X (who is now three months old) in a long car ride for a party that I’m not sure I would have been that comfortable at. But the main organizer did send out a couple of pictures of those who went. Using my yearbook, I was able to successfully identify all but one person in the photo and I have a guess as to who she is (I needed the yearbook for names. Even though we only had 80 people in the class, I only went there two years and didn’t really interact with over half the class). It is amusing to see how much some people have changed and how little some others have. I was also mildly amused to see She Who Must Not Be Named there as well, especially given that she had told me on a couple of occasions that she had no interest in ever going to a High School Reunion. But, I did notice that she seems to be connected with someone again and I can only wish her the best.

No comments: