Wednesday, August 11, 2004

TAR Recap

Well, I was both right and wrong about this week's episode. I was right in that the Texas Twosome screwed themselves over by taking the fast forward so early in the game. Everyone caught up to them and their impressing 7 hour lead was lost. They still finished 1st this week, but mostly due to their own fighting spirit. I was wrong in that I thought the Bowling Moms would be eliminated this week. They had a brilliant idea of getting money from the tourists and managed to get up to the point where the pizza brother's injuries put them in last place.

The host said that no one had ever really quit on the race before, but then, I don't think I ever seen a racer in that much physical pain before. I don't view them as quitting as I see it as more bowing to the inevitable. They knew they were eliminated and felt no need to push on. I still don't like them that much as they acted like stereotypical American jerks through most of the race, but you do have to give them a little dap for pushing through the pain towards the end. Hopefully the producers took him to a local hospital after they were eliminated.

My impressions of the rest of the teams haven't shifted too much. The Texas Twosome is getting more annoying. I'm starting to view them in the same light as the team that finished second last season, a team you know is going to be around until the end, but one you hope doesn't win. Myrna and Shmirna are getting more annoying as well. I was briefly impressed when I saw that Myrna spoke Arabic fairly well, but it went right back down the tubes with her accusations against the Texas Twosome and complaints against how she couldn't do the tasks. Shut up and just do the job.

I keep going back and forth on the Christian models. They seem likeable one minute and hateable the next. I'm also not as sure that they will be in the final three the way they keep messing up and snipping at each other in little places. I think Chip and Kim seem to be the couple that the producers are cultivating towards getting you to like them the most. They also seem to be the team that's just having the most fun. I hope they stick around until the end.

Next week looks like they're going down to either Kenya or Tanzania. It should be another non-elimination leg, but if the Bowling Moms finish last again, I don't know if they'll keep it or forward it to the next leg so that they can hit another team. It would suck if you had to take the cash of the same team twice in a row. I'm hopeful that the Moms are invigorated by their scare enough that they push someone else down and stick around for a little bit longer.

No comments: