Monday, August 09, 2004

Shower Fun

So we had the bridal shower for Mrs. X yesterday. I didn't go of course, but I made the customary groom show towards the end when people started leaving. I actually spent most the shower time giving my grandfather a brief tour around the suburbs where I work and live. That was a lot of fun, although my voice was getting a little hoarse towards the end. My grandfather has very poor hearing and he doesn't use his good hearing aid very often, preferring to use his cheap one. So, one had to elevate their voice a bit while speaking to him.

Anyway, the shower was good. Mrs. X and I got a great deal of nice kitchen things that will be quite useful in the near future. I'm going to be spending the better part of the week trying to figure out where to put everything and how to organize it. But that's no big deal. After all this, Mrs. X and I will also have to be adding thing to the registry again. Our lists have gotten a bit low so we're going to have to imagine other things that we would like to have. Fun times for us.

Probably the highlight of shower had to be after I arrived and some people started to leaving. One of the guests was Mrs. X's cousin (once removed) who had brought her two little girls along (2 and half and 6 months). At one point I was just sitting down and Mrs. X, who had been holding the younger girl, asked me if I wanted to hold her. I did and did a pretty good job of it. Mrs. X made the comment that she thought it looked very natural for me. I think my parents and her mom got a little gleam in their eyes at that point. They won't say it, but they are getting very eager for grandkids. They're a bit like sharks who smell blood in the water and start circling. Hopefully I'll have a couple of pictures to show around of me holding Lorelei, who made it very easy for me. Apparently I bear a passing resemblance to her dad and I think she might have thought I was him. She did keep grabbing at my chin and apparently he has a rather prominent one. Or maybe she just liked the sandpaper feeling.

After the shower we went to dinner at the place where we will be having our rehearsal dinner. Mmmmmm... stuffed pork chops. Quite good and if you're ever around Mason, OH, I would highly recommend the Houston Inn. Down home cooking and a very nice salad bar.

But now, Mrs. X has returned to her apartment for the last stages of packing. We move all the big stuff on Saturday and then she'll turn the keys in sometime a little later in the week. Should be an adventure. I just can't wait until we're all done and settled.

No comments: