Monday, January 02, 2017

NFL Wild Card Round - 2017

We now begin the inevitable slog towards the Super Bowl. Around Week Six or Seven I was girding myself up for the strong possibility of a New England vs. Dallas match up. That is still the most likely outcome but I'm seeing a potential glimmer of Brady vs. Eli III. Anything other than these two would be a real curve ball for me. But before we can get there, let's play with this weekend's match ups.

Saturday, January 7, 4:30 - #5 Oakland Raiders at #4 Houston Texans - This will make the second year in a row where the AFC South winner is a just happy to be here contender. Obviously the Texans won't admit that, but they are not a particularly good team and I can't see them giving Oakland too hard a time. That's actually a shame as Oakland, while good, is a young and inexperienced team. They fell apart when they had a chance to take the division and a first round bye. Now they'll get a playoff win under their belt which will make them just that much tougher in the Divisional round.

Pick: Oakland

Saturday, January 7, 8:15 - #6 Detroit Lions at #3 Seattle Seahawks - I think the Lions are a decent team but they've been skirting the edge all year and they should consider themselves fortunate that they are still in the playoffs as a win by Washington would have given them the #6 seed. Still, Seattle has also been up and down this year. One week they look good enough to win the Super Bowl, the next they are getting thrashed by a sub-500 team. But, Seattle is one of the worst places to play as a visiting team and until I see the Seahawks fall apart, I'm not going to pick against them at home.

Pick: Seattle

Sunday, January 8, 1:00 - #6 Miami Dolphins at #3 Pittsburgh Steelers - For personal reasons, I want to pick Miami in the worst way. They are actually a pretty good team and won some rather key games late in the season. They have a good run game and a halfway decent defense. I would also point out that Pittsburgh is not quite as good as they usually are. Injuries have played a part, but there has been something missing as well. They have won but they seem like they are missing something that usually gives them their usual level of swagger. But, they are still the Steelers and I don't have so much faith in the Dolphins to think that they can march into Pittsburgh and run them over. I'm thinking the Fish will give them a good game, but I still have to hold my nose and pick the yellow and black.

Pick: Pittsburgh

Sunday, January 8, 4:30 - #5 New York Giants at #4 Green Bay Packers - Again, I'd like to believe that the Packers could draw strength from the earth of Green Bay and thwart the Eli Mannings who are probably one of the hottest teams at the moment. But if there is one team that is a definition of walking wounded, it is the Packers. They're running third stringers on defense and that's not going to cut it against Odell Beckham and the other weapons at Eli's disposal. I think the Packers will score as the Giant's defense is not as good as it has been and the Green Bay offense is finally humming. But I think the order is too tall and that the Giants will get one or two key stops and will slowly pull away.

Pick: New York

No comments: