Friday, January 10, 2014

Divisional Round Match-Ups

After going 0-4 in my picks, I would advise on going opposite of whatever I pick.

1. New Orleans Saints at Seattle Seahawks - Most folks, myself included, are going to pick Seattle in this game. Seattle is a very hard place to play and especially at home, the Seattle defense is very good. Still, as was shown in Philadelphia, the New Orleans defense isn't bad either and Drew Breese and the Saints offense will put some points on the board. If the Saints defense plays out of their mind, they have a chance. But I still think Seattle wins the game.

2. Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots - It's not impossible to beat the Patriots at home, but it is hard. If Tom Brady had his full compliment of offensive weapons, I'd pick New England easily. But they don't. After the performance last week, you think it would be easy to pick Indy. But they were at home and one cannot overlook the fact that Indianapolis got into a 38-10 hole. If KC had killed clock or double covered TY Hilton, Kansas City would be headed to New England. In light of that, I'm leaning towards New England, mostly on the strength of being veterans. Lacking weapons, they may have to settle for FGs a few times, but I think they'll know how to crack Indy in a way that KC did not.

3. San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers - Carolina beat the Niners in San Francisco a few weeks ago. But, San Francisco is a veteran team that is unlikely to crack if things get a little out of hand. Likewise, Carolina has shown a distinct lack of ability when it comes to scoring points. This may be the lowest scoring game of the four and I actually think that will favor San Francisco. I'll take them on a narrow edge as the moment gets a little too big for Carolina.

4. San Diego at Denver - Here's where it matters. We all know Peyton Manning is great during the regular season. But he's not great in the playoffs. What's more, Denver's defense is not very good. San Diego showed a great deal of patience and dedication to the running game against a good Cincinnati defense. Imagine what they can do against Denver. What's more, as a divisional opponent San Diego is not afraid of Denver, having beaten them once already this season. Still, I'm going to stick with Denver. They are the favorite and I don't feel inclined to go against them until someone actually beats them. Or until the Superbowl when I'll be more objective.

No comments: