Monday, February 08, 2010

Good Game

Arguably, Super Bowl XLIV was the best Super Bowl I've seen since Super Bowl XXXIV. I don't think it was better than that one, but it was certainly a good game. I was somewhat dismissive of the Saints, especially after they went for it and lost on the 4th and goal at the 1. But something seemed to happen when the Saints in turn stopped the Colts from running out the clock in the 1st half and they managed to tack on the field goal at the end of the half. That gave the Saints life and then they grabbed the momentum whole hog on the very ballsy on-side kick call.

I actually was hoping that the Colts would have held on to win 24-13 or (once the Saints had pushed it to 24-17) that the Colts could take it to overtime to win it 30-24. Either of those scores would have given me the final score in my boxes and gotten me $40. But such is life. Congrats to New Orleans.

The commercials sucked hard this year. Many were overly sexist and exceptionally crude in their humor. The Doritos commercials were especially bad. There were only three commercials that I enjoyed:

1. Coke: Simpson's - It was simple but full of standard Simpson's visual humor.
2. Doritos: Boyfriend/kid - A kid telling off a potential boyfriend for his mom was actually funny and not offensive, like the rest of the Doritos ads.
3. Monster: Beaver violist - This one was a bit stupid but it had good music overlaying it and it didn't overplay the jokes.

I'd give a passing mention to the Budweiser: Comet and the Dockers: No Pants ads. The Comet only because it had Francois Chau from Lost and the Docker's because it had a catchy tune and that WTF is going on moment.

There is one other ad that seems to be talked about a lot. The Audi: Green Police ad. When I first saw the ad, I was a little turned off because the satire of it was lost on me. Perhaps it was the way Audi was presenting the car as a solution, but there was an element of believability to it and any aspect of a secret police (from whatever cut they may be) stands the hairs on the back of my neck. In hindsight, it's easier to see the satire of the ad and it's humorous intent, but it still gives me a vague, uneasy feeling.

No comments: