Monday, February 02, 2009

Meh

I’ve seen a couple of reviews trying to describe this as the best Super Bowl ever. In that, they are woefully mistaken. The 100-yard touchdown return was interesting, mostly for the incompetence that the Cardinals showed in their ability to knock Harrison even out of bounds and going to the locker room down 10-7. But the rest of the game stank until the fourth quarter. Usually there is some ebb and flow in a good game. This game was all one-sided with no rhythm until the tail end of the third quarter and into the fourth quarter. Then it got good.

I don’t like the Steelers and I can’t say that I’m happy that they won, but unlike three years ago, there is no question that they won this game straight up. I still don’t think they should have won Super Bowl XL but that’s the past. In this one, they legitimately earned everything and there were no phantom penalties on the last drive to aid them. The only penalty that I saw that I disagreed with was the roughing the passer penalty that was called mid-way through the third quarter on Arizona. Even then, some might argue that the defender shouldn’t have shoved Roethlesburger with a blow in the back like he did. It’s quarterbacks in dresses to me, but we’ve seen it before at least. But the Steelers won this one fair and square.

Now to the ads. I think I’ve mentioned every year how the ads don’t live up to expectations and seem to get worse every year. This year seemed particularly bad. The highest rated ads as I heard them coming in were the two Doritos ads, two of the Budweiser Clydesdales ads (lovers and stick retrieval), and something else, perhaps one of the talking baby ads. Of all of these, only the Doritos crystal ball ad was any good and even that only because of the hitting the boss in the stomach at the end. Budweiser shot complete blanks this year in my opinion.

Mrs. X liked the Bob Dylan Pepsi ad, but she has a great affinity for the song they used. I don’t and thought the ad was a little dry. It was better than a lot of the other ads, but I can’t say that it was particularly entertaining for me either. For me personally, the only two ads that I liked were the Potato Head Bridgestone ad and the Career Builder ad, though I would qualify that the Career Builder ad went on a little long, losing a little power of the joke.

So it was thoroughly Meh Super Bowl, made even more meh by the fact that Toddler X chose this night to throw a total temper tantrum by refusing to put her toys away and then getting even madder when we meted out punishment in the form of no bedtime story or songs. We did get her calmed down eventually and she went to sleep almost instantly, but it made for an unhappy bedtime. Hopefully tonight will be a little better.

No comments: