Monday, February 21, 2005

TV Update

Sorry about the delay. I’ve been distracted by a project that I’ve been working on mostly over lunch, although I have picked at it during the slow times of the day. I’ve also been restricted from working on it at home as the home PC needs to be completely wiped and reconstructed from scratch.

Anyway, West Wing was better than I thought it was going to be, although it was almost mundanely predictable. But there was enough humor in the situation to salvage it. Mrs. X and I miss the other cast members though and are looking forward to the WWE match up between Josh and Toby. Josh is younger but Toby seems to have more inner strength so I really don’t know who is going to win in the fight.

Lost was much better than I was expecting. ABC had billed the episode as the romantic triangle coming to a head. But it turned out to be more exploring of the character of Sawyer. The fleshing out of his character has helped him to a degree in my mind. He is no longer just the 2-D bad apple that stands in opposition to the triumvirate and tries to hit on Kate. Instead, he is moving in the direction of an anti-hero. A dark, miserable character that will do the things that the group cannot necessarily do and maintain their “good” status.

Mrs. X was a little confused as to who the man was that Sawyer shot, so I had to explain that the contact at the beginning of the episode (T-1000 from T2) invented the link from the man as the original Sawyer in order to turn our Sawyer into a hit man, without him knowing it. A slightly confusing premise, but understandable in the right light. I also liked the contact with the Doc’s dad who convinced Sawyer to go ahead and put himself deeper in the pit. The irony was particularly enjoyable at the end with the idea that the Red Sox never winning the series was the equivalent to fighting fate, given that they had just won the series.

No comments: