Monday, February 28, 2005

Oscar Opinions

So the Oscars were on last night. Mrs. X walked the carpet show while I did not. But I did come down in time for the opening skit of Chris Rock. Pretty funny. I liked his razzing style although his retread on a couple of jokes, like Cuba Gooding Jr. paying him $80 after Pootie Tang, wasn’t as funny the second time around. Even his cracks at Bush were funny. I only wish he had directly mentioned the Razzie that been awarded to Bush. But I imagine that’s still a taboo subject at the gala. Although Hallie Berry went to pick up her Razzie, making her the second actor to do so, after Tom Greene. So maybe they’ll get the starch out of their shorts. Nahhh.

Mrs. X and I only watched up to the In Memorandum section so we didn’t see the big awards. I was rather surprised when I got up this morning and found out that Million Dollar Baby had won both director and picture. Before the Oscars started, I was thinking that there might be a split between that one and Aviator since they were running neck and neck in the talk. After Aviator kept winning all the technical awards, I thought that it might even take both, but that Martin Scorsecee would surly win the director award. But it didn’t happen. I was glad that Morgan Freeman won Best Supporting Actor. His was recognition for past work as well as this picture, much like Denzel Washington’s Oscar was when he won.

It was rather interesting that all five of the best picture nominees took home at least one Oscar. Aviator took home 5 awards, the biggest being Best Supporting Actress. Million Dollar Baby took home 4, the biggest being Best Picture. Ray took home 2 awards, the biggest for Best Actor. Finding Neverland and Sideways each took home 1 award: Best Score and Best Adapted Screenplay respectively.

So, overall I only lost 4 or 5 picks. But since three of them were Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Song, I don’t think I can claim as good a year as last year. Such is life. But at least we can now focus on the crapfest coming out this year. Honestly, no movie this year even pings my radar until Episode III comes out in May. After that, only Goblet of Fire has made itself known for my interest. We’ll see what else is coming but nothing is registering so far.

No comments: