Thursday, December 02, 2004

TAR and Lost

First, a welcome back after the long Turkey Day weekend. It was quite tasty and we had a good time at my parent's place. The drive was a little interesting as we ran into some nasty snow just north of Peoria, but it was almost gone by the time to got my parent's place and completely gone on the way back.

Now for some TAR thoughts. I've shown once again why I am very poor at picking things on TV. In the very first episode, I picked the Mormon girls to finish in that cursed 4th spot. But they ran into a little snag in the hayfield. They kept unrolling bales and couldn't find a clue. They were out there for 9 hours and had unrolled around 100 bales before Phil mercifully went out there and told them that they had been eliminated. In all that, they must have simply overlooked some of the clues as there were 20 clues hidden in various bales. After the 8 taken by the previous teams, 12 remained and only a few bales were left by the time Phil made it out.

So, someone else will have to take the role of favorite team and finishes 4th. I've softened a little on the wrestlers but I still think that the wife is a shrew who gets frustrated a little too easily and lashes out at her husband. Mrs. X and I also think that the screamer (or Blue Hair) has taken shots at his wife with his fists before. It would be interesting to see if he gets arrested either during or after the show for assault and battery. I am still however sticking with the long distance dating couple as a favorite for the top 3 and maybe even to win it all. Now watch them get eliminated next week ;)

Now for Lost. I've been sucked into this show from the first episode. I like the mystery surrounding it which is even cleverer than The X-Files, even though X-Files had (so far) better stand-alone episodes. This week's episode was the first full trip into the metaphysical world. We were teased with it in the Doc's Dad episode, but we jumped full in. Mrs. X was not thrilled with it as she thought it was ethically unsound of the psychic to send the pregnant girl on a doomed flight so that she would be isolated to raise her child by herself. I didn't mind myself.

The other grab was the reveal of the mole. Mrs. X has been pointing out Ethan to me for the past couple of episodes but only because the actor is related to Tom Cruise in some fashion. Still, I began to think that there might be something different about this guy in the closing moments of the episode. We've seen occasional randoms but never with obvious point outs like Ethan. I shall be interested to see what this group of other people on the island are and if they are connected in any way to the French woman.

One further thing that interests me is the use of Locke to represent choice and wilderness. At least twice now he has been shown representing the choice between light and dark. First with the backgammon set and then in the dream with his eyes. There is something important about this man, but what it is, I don't know just yet. I may have to start scouting some boards such as TWoP to see what theories there are.

No comments: