Thursday, October 21, 2004

Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great!

Ding dong the witch is dead.
Which old witch?
The wicked witch.
Ding dong the wicked witch is dead.

At least for this season. Yes, I am among those annoying Red Sox fans who moan and bewail the fate of their team and then get obnoxious when they do well. Fittingly, as Mrs. X can tell you, I actually refused to watch game 4 of the series because I just couldn't stomach watching the Yankees sweep. I hung to game 7 last year and was very disgusted so I wasn't giving the Red Sox my trust in this matter again. I stayed up until the 12th inning of game 5 and then had to go to bed, desperately worried that the Red Sox had given up the ghost after two botched attempts to get the winning run into scoring position in the latter innings. But I was rewarded when I woke up the next morning. So I thought I'd go ahead and try game 6 and 7. Mrs. X and I were actually watching something else when game 6 started and I came over to the game just after the 3 run homer that the umpires huddled on. I watched the rest and was sure the Yankees were going to take it in the 8th inning. I actually missed the A-Rod play as I had to use the facilities but I thought that was the real turning point. To have fortune reversed like that broke the spirit of the Yankees. What little was left was mercilessly crushed by Foulke in the 9th. Again I missed a portion of game 7 (Mrs. X and I went to pick up our wedding proofs - more on that later) but came back in time to see the aftermath of Johnny Damon's grand slam. The only time I got worried was in the 7th when Pedro was brought in for some bizarre reason. I was yelling at the TV to get him off the mound and put Timlin in. I, like most Red Sox fans I imagine, was having flashbacks to last year. But he got it thanks to some nice fielding and the rest is history.

Now that the Yankees are eliminated, I really won't be unhappy with whomever wins the world series. As I wrote in an earlier post, I would like a St. Louis-Red Sox series (rematch of 1967) but I have enough respect for Houston's accomplishments (especially Bagwell and Biggio) to see them in the World Series. Mrs. X and I have a full slate of shows that we like to watch on Thursdays but we'll check back to the game now and again and I'll probably leave it there once Apprentice is over. Soon we will have both and can let the prognosticating begin.

As to the other thing, Mrs. X and I picked up our wedding proofs last night, all 150 of them. Some are very good and some are not so good. There is one of the bridesmaid who caught the bouquet with her leg up in the air and a shot of more leg than even she wanted to show I imagine. Its very amusing. There's also one of my sister leading a conga line that I don't remember at all during the reception. We'll be taking these over to Mrs. X's mom this weekend to let her start picking out the one's she wants. As for my parents, we'll be taking them along with us over Thanksgiving so all interested parties can see them then. So we can start working on albums before too long.

No comments: