Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Railroad Ticket

It was a bit of a surprise that as I was getting ready for bed last night, Mrs. X saw that Mr. Romney was announcing his Veep pick tomorrow. Based on the rumor information, I surmised that it was going to be Mr. Ryan and I can pat myself on the back for that one.

My only post on the VP was back at the beginning of April. I hadn't paid much attention to it because speculation was mostly pointless and I can't even remember a time when the VP pick had an actual impact on the race (outside of Mrs. Palin's selection four years ago). So I have no verifiable proof of my early Ryan advocation.

Of course, I use advocation loosely. I have no strong feelings towards the man one way or the other, but I felt that given the nature of this election and Mr. Ryan's credentials, he would be one of the best picks for Mr. Romney.

My thought process was as follows:

1. Romney had never worked in Washington and would be best served with someone with Washington experience.

2. Romney desperately needed someone that the Conservative wing approved of.

3. Romney needed someone with a penchant for economics, who was seen as pro-business as he was.

4. Romney needed a good attack dog. Someone who would go out and hit the Democrats as hard as needed and wasn't afraid of getting a little bloody himself.

Weighing all of these considerations in my mind, I though Ryan was the only candidate who fit this bill. Clearly I wasn't the only one who thought this way.

Now, does this mean it will help Mr. Romney get elected? I don't know. Some will be more inclinded towards Mr. Romney and some will be turned away. Only time will tell. Still, I can already tell that there's more interest in the VP debate between Mr. Ryan and Mr. Biden than there had been before.

No comments: