Monday, December 19, 2011

Fantasy Football What-ifs

I've been doing fantasy football (Potbellied Pigs) for three years now and this was my best season yet. I finished 2nd in my division at 8-6 and missed out on the playoffs literally by 2 points. The fellow who ended up getting the wild card berth (Flashes of Glory) had the same record as me and the first tiebreaker in our league is total points scored over the course of the season. He finished the season with 1433 and I finished with 1431. Even more galling is that if I had played Doug Baldwin of Seattle against the Rams instead of Johnny Knox of Chicago against the Broncos (week 14), I would have finished with more points and made the playoffs.

As the wild card winner, I would have played the number one seed (Bungles4Life). As it turns out, he ended up having a horrible fantasy weekend and I would have won (although not by much as my team also did pretty badly). The other match up is not set as one person (Bus Drivers) has two players going tonight. Those two will almost certainly put him over the top and making our fantasy football final Flashes of Glory vs. Bus Drivers.

I hope Flashes wins but I shall remain rueful about what might have happened had I played one person differently.

No comments: