Thursday, September 01, 2011

Nominee Nicknames

With the Republican primary starting to get settled, things are heating up between the various groups of followers. One of the most amusing things to come out of this is the nicknames that get applied to the various followers.

In many ways, this started with the Ron Paul followers. Their obsessive nature in promoting Mr. Paul gave an opening for giving them a cult-like following name. The settled name seems to be Ronulans (although I've also seen Paulbots). I rather liked that one.

The followers of Sarah Palin (sticking with her for a 2012 run since 2008) have been affectionately named "Palinistas".

Mitt Romney's followers haven't fully settled on a name yet. Mittbots seems to be the most common although I've also seen Romneyites and plays on gloves (playing off Romney's derisive nickname of "Mittens")

As Rick Perry has only recently gotten it, his followers aren't really settled in either. I did see one that I thought was quite funny: Perrykrishnas. I've also seen Perrykins.

I've not seen enough support for Bachmann in the blogs I visit to see any particular nicknames for her followers. I would suggest that portents a great deal for the length of her candidacy.

If I see any other good names, I'll add them to the list.

No comments: