Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Day

So today marks the first day of selecting a president. I hope everyone has voted today. Considering that the three people I know that read this blog are all in battleground states, I would hope you got out. Of course, two of you are going to be voting for the candidate who opposes mine so maybe I should discourage you ;)

It is my fervent hope that this whole event is essentially resolved around 4 am this morning. Maybe it'll be a little later, but I'm praying that whomever wins, its by a clear majority. Things are already getting testy with reports of jacked machines in Philly and Indian brow beating in South Dakota. Fortunately, despite all the fracas about poll observers here in Ohio, its been rather quiet. I didn't have any problems and the three old ladies I talked to were very nice and well informed. I've also not heard any reports from up around Cleveland or Columbus and that's where I would expect trouble. So we're doing alright so far.

Turnout seems to be alright. Mrs. X had to wait a short time in line when she voted this morning as our polling place only has six tables available at a time, but it was running smoothly when I got there around 10. Most of the people here at work reported standing in lines for a short time, but no real problems. One of the fellows here at work said that they expanded his location and got more tables in. He also said that normally when he goes, he's listed as voter number 30 or 40. Today he was voter 93. They hit 100 voters in the first hour of being open. Normally they have to wait 2 or 3 hours to hit 100. Quite impressive around here. Of course there's also a very nasty fight over a levy going on in his district. I didn't have to worry about that. We just have two levys for hospitals. I supported them both.

So, predictions? Not a clue. Both sides are trumpeting their polls and saying that they'll win. Honestly, I think it comes down to Florida again. As I posted previously, I think whomever takes Florida has the clear advantage and will win. I think Iowa will tilt to Mr. Bush and Minnesota to Mr. Kerry. So that leaves Wisconsin and Ohio. Win one of those two and Florida and you're in. But as to who's going to take those 3, I really have no idea. If we know by midnight though, I think we can safely call it as close to a landslide as you're going to get.

No comments: